Looking forward (albeit with a little trepidation) to the Church Winter Night Shelter season (for me) due to start Friday for the next 17 weeks.
For those expecting a regular News update I apologize. It was a nice idea at the time but has not been kept up. I have though continued to blog regularly, keep up to date the SHAN page and have recently added 12 e-books to the writing page. Me and my family are quite well. I continue with chairing SHAN, being chair of Street Spirit and will be managing the Ferndale Church Winter Night Shelter when we start up again on 1st December.
It is unlikely I am going to maintain this page much. Much as I would like to share stuff close to home and family, doing so such that the whole world could potentially see is not a good idea. While CWNS has finished my regular Saturday night forays to the Street Spirit soup kitchen continues and while things have gone quite on the wider from SHAN continues and will meet next week. I am going to take a step back over the summer and then think about CWNS for next season. I hope to announce plans early September. My activity as a blogger continues – I add something most days and close to reach 1000 posts!
How time flies and what with every good intention … Ferndale CWNS finished a month ago but it went well – volunteer meal next Friday as a finale. The need continues as does my involvement with Street Spirit and SHAN. The world continues to be a crazy place with momentous happenings and blogging continues regularly with so much to blog about.
Tonight’s the night it all begins at Ferndale CWNS and while there are slots on the rota to fill, especially overnight, we are ready to go. Expecting 10 guests but it will build up.
Ferndale CWNS starts this Friday (2/12) and while we have prepared we will be hitting the ground running. If you want to know more and especially if you are interested in volunteering then check out my just posted “Helping at the Ferndale Night Shelter – 2016/17” blog post.
The Southend 2016/2017 Church Winter Night Shelter Program will be start on 1st December and will last for seventeen weeks. We typically provide hospitality, overnight accommodation and an evening and morning meal for up to 20 persons who might otherwise be sleeping rough. Seven churches will be taking part, each taking a particular night in the week and thus ensuring there is full coverage during the worse period weather wise. My own church, Ferndale, will operate Friday night from 7pm until Saturday morning, 8am. We are looking for volunteers, particularly male overnight sleepers. Support and training will be provided. If you are interested in helping or knowing more about what we do, then please contact me (see the About page for contact details).
After a long break, I have decided to update this page on a regular basis, specifically to provide up to date news of what is happening in the Church Winter Night Shelter (CWNS) program.
Please note this page is not being updated currently so all the news given below is old news. However, I continue to update my blog regularly and while slowing down try to do my bit as a gospel preaching, community activist.
My apologies for not updating this page regularly. I have come to a view that this is not going to happen as I intended and, besides which, there doesn’t seem to be a big demand, so for the time being this section of my website moves into the archive category. If folk want to know what I am up to then check out my blog (which I continue to regularly update), subscribe to one of my e-distribution lists, contact me by e-mail or become a Facebook “friend”.
I have just celebrated the posting of my 200th blog entry. For a full listing of titles in date order such that you can then go to that posting, click here. SHAN meeting went well; look forward to the next one. I continue doing Open House, Street Spirit, the SOS men’s group and Night Shelters, now at the half way mark. Sadly, it is looking like CRA will close this coming AGM in April, but with the St. Lukes community hub taking off I hope this will take on many of the issues affecting residents. I am looking forward to taking part in an event organised by SIWG where faith communities can engage with council workers over matters of common interest to do with the community – Wednesday 5th February 11.30 – 2.30, at the Civic Centre. Next Southend Community-in-Harmony Big Event will be held on Sunday 6th September 2015 and I plan to be there!
Nothing particularly profound to add. Next SHAN meeting is next Tuesday, details on the SHAN page. Night shelters at Ferndale Baptist Church are going well. Street Spirit every Saturday night. I turn up from time to time to Thursday SOS men’s group and St. Andrew’s Open House. Decided to cancel January CRA meeting although meeting with stakeholders Monday week to discuss future. Stuff with SIWG coming up. Continue to be involved with Providence Baptist (our church now). Contact me if you want to know more about any of this, but some relevant stuff on blog, regarding which I continue to post prolifically on matters all and sundry. And a Happy New Year one and all!
Gosh, I have been lax – two months since my last update even though as they say lots of water has gone under the bridge since I last posted. Lots of new postings on things I care about in my blog – just check them out by scrolling the pages! Homelessness still seems to be my number one community activity! Street Spirit continue to go out each Saturday 8pm, meeting in Clarence Road Car Park, Southend. We engage with upwards of thirty rough sleepers, giving food, clothing and love. While I’m not there every Sunday (7pm), St. Andrews, Westcliff continue to do Open House, where homeless and other folk are invited to a meal. SHAN remains active and we meet next Tuesday (check out the SHAN tab). Finally, Church Winter Night Shelter (CWNS) is about to start up for the fourth year. I will be managing the Ferndale operation, each Friday night 7pm until Saturday morning 8am, December thru until March, Still interested in hearing from any who would like to help out.
Haven’t been updating News for a while as there is nothing pressing I felt I should add, but I have been adding prolifically to my blog – just check out and see for yourself. Also, to remind folk that the Next SHAN meeting is this coming Tuesday (check out the SHAN tab) and we will be looking at the homeless situation in Southend. On Saturday night as I have most previous Saturdays and I hope too for future Saturdays, I have been out with Street Spirit (we meet 8pm in Clarence Road car park) and feed and clothe the homeless, and talk to them. The Big event (see below) is nigh on us. I’ll be there with a stall from my church: Providence Baptist.
Had a positive meeting of the Cluny Residents meeting last nights – lots of things processing nicely though still disappointed will low resident turnout.
Still blogging regularly. Todays post is on Christian Fundamentalism but subjects covered are varied.
Trying to plug the Southend Community-in-Harmony Big Event on 21 September (see http://www.community-in-harmony.org.uk/ for details). Am involved in organising faith and homeless related stalls.
Today is our SHAN meeting with its normal action packed agenda. Notes dates for meetings:
Tuesday 8th July 2014
Tuesday 9th September 2014
Tuesday 11th November 2014
I continue to be busy updating my blog – I suggest you just check out the blog and see what is there – generally I post 2-3 new entries each week. It now has a comments facility.
Today I sent out an email to my community distribution list of around 350, who I have had dealings with in the past relating to community matters. I plan to maintain the list and send out community updates and changes to this website on a monthly basis (email me if you want to be added to or removed from the list).
In the last two weeks I have added the following entries in my Blog https://jrbpublications.com/blog/
- Consigned to Room 101
- European Elections
- Evangelicals: a “gay question”
- Cluny Residents Association
- Indian elections
- A tribute to Joe
- Making Britain great
- Election time again
- Poetry Please
- The Beautiful game
Some updates regarding five of the various organisations I have some involvement with:
1. SCHP are pressing ahead with their event (see 22/04 entry) and will be holding a fund raising quiz on 30th May. Check out their new website. If you can help out on the day, provide catering, put on an organisation display stall or provide music, dance or other entertainment then they will be pleased to hear from you. Also let the word out the event is happening. It is one event in Southend that really does engage all sections of the community.
2. Street Spirit are still pressing ahead with their fund raising “Question of Support” quiz evening and I’m still down as quiz master but the details have changed: The entry is £1 and you can pre-buy tickets or turn up on the door: Friday 26th May at the Railway Hotel, 7.30pm for 8.00 prompt start. They are now going out each week and engaging with the homeless.
3. Cluny Residents Association (CRA) are holding two events on 19th May. In the afternoon 2.30-4.30 there is a fun event especially aimed at children but really especially aimed at adults not involved with our association who we would like to get involved so we can truly make a difference to our neighbourhood. In the evening 7-9 is our AGM. Everything is free, all are invited, food and refreshments are laid on and it is at the Cluny Cafe.
4. Southend Homeless Action Network (SHAN) is still pressing ahead with its meeting tomorrow 13/05, details below. Do turn up if you have a particular interest in homelessness.
5. I have received the following from Communities and Asylum Seekers Together (CAST). Please reserve the date; details to follow:
CAST is proud to present Refugee Rhythms, a fun-filled show celebrating music, dance and poetry from across the globe. Stars confirmed so far include major artists from Botswana and South Africa- Aubrei Woki (bassist for Hugh Masekela) and the Kalahari Band, Claude Deppa of the Grand Union Orchestra and also Osibisa’s Alfred Bannerman.
We need your support. Please tell your friends, come to the show and spread the word. We are crowd funding the cost of this event, please get your tickets or donate at www.buzzbnk.org/RefugeeRhythms to receive thank you gifts. Lots of exciting info is on the website. Check out here for the flyer advertising the event.
Tickets will also be available at the Railway Hotel in Southend, and Anke’s cafe on London Road, Westcliff.
Refugee Rhythms is taking place in Refugee Week in partnership with the British Red Cross.
June 21st, 8pm at the Railway Hotel, 32 Clifftown Road, Southend SS1 !AJ. Earlybird tickets tickets £10/£12 on the door.
Street Spirit are organising a fund raising quiz evening at the Railway Hotel, just past opposite Southend Central railway station: Thu 22 May. Do support if you can this good cause and for a fun evening with the added bonus that I am down to be the quiz master.
This is the first entry and I wanted to say three things:
1. I’ve decided to visit Facebook more regularly. Also, every time I add to my blog, I intend to post a link on my Facebook page. I will be happy to receive friend requests. This will provide readers with the added benefit of getting notified whenever there are changes and the facility to post comments about each new blog entry.
2. My Community-in-Harmony friends have announced the next Big Event is Sunday 21st September in Priory Park. While no longer closely involved as I was, I do hope to contribute to that day. If you need more info or wish to participate, email Dan Turpin who is the coordinator this year: firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. The next meeting of SHAN (check out the SHAN tab) is Tuesday 13 May 11-12.30, this time at HARP’s new Bradbury Centre. For those who are interested there will be a guided tour of the premises at 10.30. If you are not on the SHAN distribution, then email me and I will send info. The agenda is already pretty full and action packed and will go somewhere toward informing and addressing some of the issues around homelessness.